Beet Risotto with Greens
- 5 Â½ - 6 Â½ cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons butter or mixture of butter & olive oil
- Â½ cup finely diced onion
- 1 Â½ cups Arborio rice
- Â½ cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons shopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil or 1 tablespoon dried
- 2 â€“ 3 medium beets, peeled and grated, about 2 cups
- 2 â€“ 3 cups greens â€“ beet, chard, kale or spinach â€“ stems removed, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly milled pepper
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Â½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
Add 2 cups stock, cover, and cook at a lively simmer until the stock is absorbed. Begin adding the remaining stock in Â¼ - cup increments, stirring constantly until each addition is absorbed before adding the next. When you have 1 cup left, add the beet greens or spinach. Taste for salt, season with pepper, then stir in the lemon zest and juice to taste. Serve dusted with the cheese and the remaining parsley.
This recipe comes from Lesley Switendick, a Veggie Share holder!! Yeah and thank you. I believe her source is Grains: Kernels and Seeds of Life.