Mashed Potatoes with Carrots and Leeks
From Gourmet Magazine, 2004
- 1 leek (white and pale green parts only), coarsely choppedâ€¨
- 2 lb potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold or russet (baking) potatoesâ€¨
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- â€¨1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butterâ€¨
- 3/4 cup whole milkâ€¨
- 3/4 teaspoon saltâ€¨
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Wash chopped leek well in a bowl of cold water, then lift out and drain well.
Peel potatoes and cut into 2-inch pieces. Cover with cold water in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender. Drain and return to saucepan.
While potatoes are simmering, cook carrots in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, drain. Cook leeks in butter over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until very tender. Add milk, salt, and pepper and simmer, stirring, 2 minutes. Add leek mixture to potatoes and coarsely mash with a potato masher, then stir in carrots.