Spinach CakesThis recipe comes from Elana's Pantry, the website of local cookbook author and Abbo CSA member Elana Amsterdam: â€œWhat do you do with the several pounds of spinach crowding out the other greens in the veggie drawer of my fridge? Spinach cake of course! I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do and that it solves your spinach harvest woes! This spinach recipe is based on Claudia Rodenâ€™s Tortino di Spinaci. She is my all-time favorite cookbook author."
- 1 Â½ pounds spinach, thoroughly washed, leave stems on if they are not tough
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Â½ cup currants
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- Wilt spinach in a large covered saucepan, over low heat (do not add water) 5 minutes, until tender.
- Drain and cool, then gently squeeze moisture out of spinach.
- Place spinach in food processor and pulse until coarsely blended, then set aside.
- In a small skillet, warm 3 tablespoons oil, add pine nuts and saute until golden brown.
- Add garlic to pan of pine nuts and saute together an additional minute.
- In a large bowl, combine pine nuts mixture, blended spinach, eggs, currants and salt.
- Spread mixture into a greased 10Ã—7 inched pyrex baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
Makes 12 spinach cakes