Sugar Pie Pumpkin Recipes
Sugar pie pumpkins are great for eating as well as for making cute, little Jack Oâ€™ Lanterns. Once roasted, steamed or baked the flesh is ready to be made into any number of tasty, seasonal dishes, sweet and savory. To get started, try this sugar pie pumpkin preparation recipe from Alice Waters of Chez Panisse!
"Oven-Roasted Pumpkin Puree"
- Choose a sugar pumpkin that is dense and heavy for its size.
- Cut it in half horizontally.
- Scrape out the seeds and place the halves cut side down on a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of water and roast in a preheated 350Â° F oven for 1 hour, until the pumpkin collapses and is tender through.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Scrape the flesh from the skin and purÃ©e. Season with salt and pepper, and with a bit of butter or cream, if you like. Serve as a savory vegetable with grills or roasts, or use the puree, unseasoned, to make fresh pumpkin pie.
Now, use this Moosewood Recipe to create a delicious seasonal treat!
"No Fault Pumpkin Pie"
- 3 cups pumpkin purÃ©e
- 3/4 cup of honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cloves
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 can evaporated milk or 2 cups scalded milk
- Mix in order given.
- Pour into whole wheat pie shell.
- Bake 10 minutes at 450Â° F.
- Reduce heat to 350Â° F and continue cooking for 40 minutes or until set.