Zucchini Pancakes Topped with Diced Tomatoes
Recipe from the Farmer's Market Chef
- 1 lb. Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped*
- 1 1/2 lbs. Zucchini or summer squash*
- 1 medium Red onion*
- 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed*
- 2 Tbs. Fresh mint or basil, chopped*
- 1/8 tsp. Ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbs. Grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Eggs, beaten*
- 3 Tbs. Flour
- Black Pepper to taste
- Canola oil for frying
*You can find these items at the Boulder Farmers Market.
- Place the tomatoes in a colander over the sink and strain the juices. Set aside.
- Grate the zucchini and onion in a bowl. Roll up in a hand towel and squeeze out the excess moisture. This step is important. Otherwise the pancakes won't be the right consistency.
- Combine the zucchini and onion with garlic, salt, fresh mint or basil, nutmeg, cheese, eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil until it is very hot. Drop a cup of the zucchini batter in the hot oil. Flatten if needed. Let the pancake completely brown on one side before flipping to brown the other. Remove and place on paper towels to blot dry.
- Remove tomatoes from the colander. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the zucchini pancakes topped with tomatoes.